Parking + Other Info
WHAT TO WEAR?
- All volunteers must wear the Life Remodeled provided t-shirt. We also recommend all volunteers wear the following:
- Closed-toe shoes
- Comfortable pants or shorts
- A long-sleeve shirt underneath (if it’s cold)
- Protective eye wear
- Bug spray
HOURS AND DAYS
- 6 Day Project: August 5-10, 2019
- Full Day Shift: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Morning Shift: 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
- Afternoon Shift: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your check-in at the Durfee Innovation Society (DIS)
- The main parking lots will be located within walking distance of the DIS (map coming soon)
- Check-in will take place outside at the Durfee Innovation Society located at 2470 Collingwood Detroit, MI 48206
- Check-in will begin at 8 a.m. (for the morning shift) and 12 p.m. (for the afternoon shift) every day during the project
- Please arrive and check in at least 30 minutes prior to your shift
- To alleviate congestion during the check-in process, groups should send only 1-2 representatives to check in for the entire group
- Each volunteer must sign a waiver before volunteering. Waivers will be collected at the time of check-in, and groups are emailed the waiver in advance.
- T-shirts will be given to your group representative(s) at the time of check-in unless you’ve coordinated to pick t-shirts up in advance
- Upon check-in, your group will be assigned to either Command Center A or Command Center B
SHUTTLES & COMMAND CENTER
- Once you and/or your group is assigned to Command Center A or Command Center B, hop on the designated shuttle parked outside the DIS
- If you are volunteering with friends or a group, be sure you all get on the same shuttle and/or go to the same Command Center
- You will be assigned to a RED SHIRT LEADER and team (If you don’t already have one)
- The shuttles will take you to your assigned Command Center where your team will:
- Gather tools, equipment, and water bottles for your team
- Receive an assignment sheet and map of your assigned streets. Your team will work together to remove blight and beautify designated lots, remove garbage, cut back hedges, clear brush and weeds, mow grass, etc.
- Porta-potties will be located at the Command Centers daily
- Shuttles will run throughout the day to and from the DIS in case volunteers come late and/or leave early
- Light and simple lunches and water are served at the Command Centers daily
- If you have any dietary restrictions, we recommend you bring a bag lunch
- Because lunches are light, we encourage our volunteers to bring additional snacks as supplements and to keep up energy throughout the day
- Understand the assignment. Stick together. No one goes anywhere alone.
- Stay in the assigned area. Do not enter houses or vehicles.
- Use equipment that you know how to operate. Keep track of tools. Use common sense.
- At the end of the day, bring all tools to the Command Center. Put away tools as instructed.
- Drink plenty of water!
- Debris goes on the curb in three separate piles: Yard Waste; Tires; Garbage.
END OF THE DAY
- Return to the Command Center with your team and tools. Put away tools as instructed. Thank your team for serving alongside you.
- RED SHIRT LEADERS will assist with breakdown of the Command Center.
- Take a shuttle back to the DIS
- If you need documentation of your volunteer hours, please report to the check-in table
- Feel free to bring additional snacks and drinks for your group
- All volunteers must be at least 14 years of age
- If you volunteer more than one day, please check in daily